Recruitments is inseparable function for any organization, whether you outsource it to vendors or operate through robotics technology. As per web poll results 78% of organizations still feels that the pace of candidate supply to business is less than actual demand at that hour. Wherein, most of the time recruiters are so busy filling the current needs for business that it becomes hard to invest time in adapting to new technology, process and tools. That is where the real struggle and delay in requirement fulfilment starts occurring. In my recent interactions with few of the HR and Business leaders, they do realize that the pace of team is not as required but upgrading them feels like a huge cost investment towards a cost center team. Although, the fact is they are all part of netizen age and the least we need to do is let them correlate their tech habits at work too. Here are few steps through which we can upgrade our recruiters – while they are on the job creating no laps in deliverables.
- Making them work paperless: Make the learn ATS, use ATS. Initially it will be time taking but slowly it will start giving its benefits. Complying to complete process at ATS, incomplete data will be of no use in future. AI also needs right information to help you work faster. Many large companies are having great ATS and systems but not able to utilize it because of incomplete or improper entries. Then, rather than utilizing database they have to clean database every-time to be able to use it in future. Hence, little habits created today to add right data, updating process actions in time will speed up overall process with 10X speed with lowering overall efforts punt in too.
- Be a Master Social Networker: These days on personal front a lot of us fall into Netizenship and yet a lot of us are till dormant in some way. But in current age, recruitment is all about faster and larger penetration in market through communication. All commercial database is limited, yet if we look at platforms like LinkedIn or twitter opportunities are immense. It’s an art to expand, engage and communicate with right network to get desirable results and responses. Starting from how to brand ourselves to how to reach out to people and further engage them is systematic learning process. Organizations should make recruiters learn, using these tools by initially providing them action guidelines and material to start on Web. Organizations like LinkedIn are taking self-initiative to help corporate recruiters to use their tools in better way.
- Understanding basics of analytical tools and methods: ATS or HRMS are not just tools to record data, rather in current age they are becoming one of the strongest tools to understand market to drive any recruitment marketing or employer branding related activities. Although to do that, it’s important to know how to use data, churn it through analytical tools to get desired information. It is equally important before using these tools to understand, what to expect from data and what will be useful for us to enhance productivity further. In most of the situations, recruiters do not like to reflect on such an angle because it looks tedious and humongous task. But right education on tools can make this process just few clicks of work.
- Capability to quantify actions and derive trends: In olden times, recruitments was considered highly subjective work. Although, with hiring target and time subjectivity today, it is extremely important to align entire work plan with concrete planning on actions to be taken today. Such a plan can be derived only when a recruiter can retrospect trends and ratios through data to back calculate amount of activities required at each phase of recruitment cycle. Setting targets and measuring the achievement with course corrections will always help to hit the goal.
- Market understanding and art of talent attraction: even if you find candidates, markets like India are extremely competitive to keep candidate attracted towards opportunity we have. Unless, recruiter poses knowledge about competition or other opportunity in same segment, advising or counseling a candidate is just not possible. In a recent case-study, candidate was deciding to let go the opportunity with a leading telecom giant because of dis-satisfactory compensation offered that too in different city. Yet, recruiter was able to make him join the desired organization with same offerings by counselling him on market condition, competitive rankings and future career benefits. Such, information is not difficult to gather but it requires, recruiter’s interest level to retain the information and use it wisely. Little habit of reading and taking about diverse issues make such knowledge gathering possible. Even reading news bytes in current age is not limited to tedious newspapers, recruiters cab easily sign-up with relevant e-letters and feeds to be updated and informed.
Above listed are little actions which recruiters can practice in their daily routine to create a difference in their productivity and in longer run making them more equipped to handle future hiring needs.